The World's Largest Native-Owned and Managed Buffalo Herd
Wolakota is a project of the Rosebud Economic Development Corporation (REDCO), which is the wholly owned economic development arm of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.
As Lakota, we believe we are all related and it is our duty to create a better world for future generations. At Wolakota, we will do this by reconnecting bison to the land and people of the Sicangu Lakota Oyate.
At REDCO, we are bringing Tatanka back to the people as a way to realize our vision of a healthy, helpful, and safe Oyate (nation). We are converting 28,000 acres of Rosebud Sioux Tribal lands from cattle to bison. The return of the bison will protect and strengthen the prairie ecosystem and create cultural opportunities for our community. Additionally, we will explore add-on ventures such as a processing plant, cultural and ecotourism, and educational outreach.
The Wolakota Regenerative Buffalo Range and Wildlife Sanctuary will:
1) Provide cultural opportunities by revitalizing our relationship with buffalo that is grounded in history, culture, and education
2) Initiate environmental regeneration by improving the health and resilience of the prairie ecosystem indigenous to the Sandhills
3) Combat climate change by increasing the sequestration of carbon thereby reducing atmospheric greenhouse gases
4) Strengthen food sovereignty by improving access to fresh, healthy, sustainable, and humanely-sourced meat
5) Create economic opportunity by providing jobs, increasing investment, and bringing new industries to our people
Here’s how you can be an accelerator:
Crowdfunding - Your donation of any size will help us reach our goal! Make a contribution here.
Major Gift - Your contribution can fund a significant upfront capital cost to the project. Donate here or contact us using the form below.
Social Impact Investment - Learn more in this blog post.
In-Kind Donation - Your industry expertise or donation of equipment, time, or supplies will lower our startup costs. Get in touch with us by using the form below.
Other Methods - Got another way you can support our work? We are always open to innovative solutions and would love to hear yours through the form below!
The bond between the Lakota and Tatanka is sacred. For millennia, Tatanka cared for Lakota people by providing food, shelter, clothing, tools, and ceremonial items. European and American settlers hunted buffalo to near extinction, disrupting the Lakota way of life and the local ecosystems. The Wolakota Buffalo Range is a sustainable solution that will return Tatanka to our homelands will not only revitalize the prairie, but also the people who call it home.